EOP-3 and EOP-4Project Descriptions
EOP-3 and EOP-4 task you to examine the path (trajectory) that has resulted in the current state of a consumer or industrial product. You are asked to tell the story of how this product came to exist in its current form.
Selected Product: Bidet
1. Synthesize a large amount of information to create a compelling narrative
2. Relate your product to the user needs they satisfy, starting with the fundamental human need and progressing to modern needs. To do so, you need to address:
· Dimensions of Value: what the dimensions of value are/were, how the dimensions changed, how the ability of the product to satisfy those dimensions changed.
3. Apply concepts from class to illustrate the what, why, how, when, and in what context these changes took place. For example:
· Type of innovation (radical/incremental, process/product, component/architecture, competence-enhancing/competence-destroying)
· Sources of innovation: the people and organizations and how their collaborations and competitions influenced the development
· Externalitites: changes due to complementary goods and services, installed base; the availability of enabling technologies
· Dominant Design: emergence of standards, a dominant product architecture, or a clear winner in a competition
· Context Factors: Social, economic, political, or other factors that affected the trajectory
You don’t need to address all of these for every inflection point – but you should discuss the nature of the change and the factors driving it.